From: Roger Seielstad [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 12:30 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Moving Schema Master

I'd suggest rearchitecting the network to be a more sane envrionment.
Putting Exchange in the DMZ is fairly scary.

IF your users are so intent on OWA from outside, it's a far better option,
IMO, to put a proxy server (either ISA or Squid-proxy if you're Unix savvy)
in the DMZ and putting the OWA box inside. You're putting an aweful lot of
collateral into an untrusted section of your domain, and having to allow a
LOT of traffic into the inside network. Permanently moving the Exchange box
inside would make a LOT of sense - even if you end up just passing all OWA
traffic all the way in.

Second - the issue with the schema master is most likely because the
necessary ports aren't open enough from the outside. One alternate, which is
a bit ugly but could work, would be to set up IPSec tunneling between the
two boxes - that way its 100% open traffic because all of it would get
encapsulated and passed through the pipe.

Personally, I'd permanantly move the Exchange box to address both issues at
once.

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.