You might also want to look at the following solution:
http://laaad.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

The idea behind the project is to apply SFU schema extensions, and
making the clients authenticate using LDAP/SSL instead of NIS as opposed
to vanilla SFU.
if you want, you can also make clients authenticate against AD's
Kerberos realm.

Actually the problem is not authentication, but having a single store
for user account properties in AD (Posix account properties in the case
of Linux/Unix) and that is what SFU schema extensions do in this case.

Guy