> The telling symptom is that the primary DNS suffix of the machine
> gets set to the FQDN of its domain (ipconfig /all).

Note that that doesn't always happen. If you set the registry or clear the
checkbox for change DNS domain on join you don't change. This is called a
disjoint namespace and is fully supported and pretty common in large
deployments. Having a single dnz zone for hundreds of sites and thousands or
tens of thousands of clients usually isn't something large companies like.
They rather break it up. We break up our DNS pretty much by building and
each building pretty much does their own DNS management. Note we do not use
Windows DNS.