Title: Exchange 2003 Migration Question

Kent

There’s a number of factor you need to consider here, and three of the biggest one’s that come to mind are co-existence, user profile re-pointing, and freezing the admin environment for the duration on one or both sides.

You didn’t mention how many mailboxes, servers or mail you had, so it’s hard to advise on the purchase on a 3’rd party tool, native tool or manual options, although I would recommend you look at a number of the 3’rd party tools that are available, especially when you look at an extended co-existence period where you need solid dir-sync to maintain both set’s of directories.

If you go the tool route, you should look at a solution which will build and maintain the target GAL, plus build objects, or in your case match on the objects which you already have which is matching the associated NT account on the 5.5 mailbox to the AD user’s sidHistory attribute.

This can be done natively, but not as cleanly as I’ve done with third party.

In essence your migration path would be the following:

Setup routing between the two org’s – preferably X.400 connector, since this allows you to maintain your SMTP namespace in both orgs and still have a namespace to route against

Build a target GAL that would route mail back to the source org using x400 proxy’s, but mace sure the GAL is built using mail enabled users that are stamped with the source org’s DN as x500 addresses. This will absorb reply-ability between source and target org, including outstanding meeting request, etc

Batch MAILBOX ENABLE as many users as you wish to migrate at a time and transfer their mail. Since the target object’s will be overwritten the x400 proxy route will be overwritten.

Set alternate recipients on the source mailboxes to route new mail to the target GAL.

The advantage of this method is that you have a co-existence model which will allow you to co-exist for a while, plus once your target GAL is built you can switch your MX record over at any time.

This is one method of migrating/coexisting, and while it’s not detailed exhaustively, it gives you a route to start thinking on.

I strongly suggest you stay away from the ADC and use a third party tool to do this with, unless you have enough time to break your lab several times and rebuild it  ;)

Please respond with your migration parameters, such as mailbox count, server count and mail volume, as these will all influence your migration time considerably

Nic