First take a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fservicedesks%2fwebcasts%2fwc031803%2fwcblurb031803.asp

Like they say, there are many ways to skin a cat (apologies to all animal lovers :)).
Starting with one DC.
Add a BDC, make sure this machine is a good one because we will eventually make it "The DC".
For redundancy/fall-back/ooops, install a second BDC and take that offline.
Now Promote the First BDC to PDC. The Original PDC will automagically become a BDC.
If no "special" reason for you to change the Domain Name, then just upgrade the new PDC to Win2K3.
Don't mess with the "Functional Domain Level" stuff.
Test mail flow and every service and be sure all OK.

Get a new server that will host your Exchange. Don't try to cheat. It's not a "good idea" to put Exchange on your DC, even though you can legally and technically do it.
Install W2K3 and E2K3 on this server, making sure that you install it into the Original Exchange Org
Test sending mail from this server to some test internal and external addresses.
If all OK, then use Active Directory Users and Computers to move the mailboxes (using the "Exchange Tasks" wizard) from the 5.5 to the 2003
See http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/2340.asp
After moving the mailboxes, you will need to move more stuffs. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917
and this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=284148

I have probably overlooked a thing or 2, but the general idea here should get you started in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
www.akomolafe.com
www.iyaburo.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday?  -anon