In our environment (60+ sites, 130 DCs, 25k+ users) I've not yet chosen a
bridegehead, and am successful at controlling where my replication takes
place by carefully choosing through AD Sites and Services the site that a
specific set of servers can talk to - or, a server to server by defining the
server site to site train.

Consider that I have a series of remote sites that communicate via 256kb
PVC's on Frame Relay, but the parent remote communicates via a 2MB PVC to
the main site.  If is set site to site links that take the 5 remotes to the
remote hub, then create a link from the remote hub to the main site, I've
effectively mitigated the remotes from all attempting to communicate
directly with the main site.  It allows for a more proper replication
structure, reduced b/w from the main to the remotes, and reduces the number
of KCC generated links that make no real sense - given that the topology
should strive to follow the physicallity of the WAN/LAN infrastructure - not
the logical of what AD might want.

If this isn't clear, I can send you screen shots of what I do, a Visio, etc.
I think, though, that even if you have to create sites WITHIN a site
(setting up the change notification, reducing the wait time, etc.) you can
certainly manage the connection issues without killing off the KCC's ability
to do its job.

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert