        From: Rick Kingslan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Sat 3/27/2004 10:06 AM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] permissions to only disable an AD user account

        Mike,

        The property that you're looking to delegate is the 'Write
userAccountControl'.  However, that does open up an interesting can of worms.  The
userAccountControl proerty, as you may well know, is a series of flags that control a
number of aspects of the user account - enable (flag value 512) and disable (flag
value 514) being only two.  Look here for more info.

        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305144

        So, if you delegate the ability to disable an account, you're also going to,
by association, delegate quite a bit more - which you may not want to do, which means
it really can't be done - directly.  You of course, can script or provide a compiled
tool called, e.g. 'accountdisable.exe' which would do nothing more.  But, the risk is
that the property is well documented and someone with half a brain could figure out
that they have more than what was intended.  They then will be able to create their
own scripts and have a good old time playing with the properties of the users in their
delegated area.

        Hope this answers what you are looking for.

        Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT, CISSP
        Microsoft MVP:
        Windows Server / Directory Services
        Windows Server / Rights Management