Yes and no. This is still internal to Exchange, it is just as bad as say a MOM agent that is running tests on a local box. Doesn't tell you anything about whether clients can access you or not. Do you for instance warn if the queue doesn't grow at all for a while? That would be an aside method of determining whether an exchange server is working with clients or not. How do you warn on that because some times maybe you shouldn't see anything hitting the queue, etc. For testing Exchange specifically I would have scripts or something sending mail to and fro the distance of the entire exchange organization that I need mail delivery guarantees for for instance. Fortunately I am not in charge of the availability of our exchange servers...

-------------
http://www.joeware.net   (download joeware)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of deji Agba
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 12:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Server up/downtime

>>So say an Exchange Server that is responding to pings but isn't handling mail at all or not very well is considered UP for availability numbers.

This you handle by using the Built-in Exchange monitoring tool. You can roll your own sink to monitor queue and send you an alert IF it reaches a certain threshold or if it can't determine the threshold. I want to bet that you know this already and you are just picking on Exchange as usual ;)

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
www.akomolafe.com
www.iyaburo.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday?  -anon