Yes, definitely not a firewall, I just wanted to pipe up with that to feel
useful...

This is permissions in AD. Since those permissions are set on the default SD
in the schema for user objects, someone/thing cleared the self ACE for WP
Personal Information...

If I were a gambling man... I would say look for the following symptoms:

O adminCount attribute set on these user objects (probably a 1)
O Inheritance is turned off on the ACL
O Most of the perms you see on most userids are missing

If these are true you probably have adminSdHolder kicking you in the seat of
the pants. Were these folks at any point (including right this second)
Admins, Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, Account Ops, Server Ops, Backup
Ops, etc etc ad nauseum? If so this is your issue. Those IDs are, by
default, locked down in a protected state so people can't futz with them.
The only permission adminSdHolder'ed objects get for SELF is SELF Change
Password. You can get more info on adminSDHolder by searching the archives
of this list or going to google and searching for it.

You may find recommendations to CHANGE the permissions on adminSdHolder, I
for the most part, do not agree with that. Your admins should have two IDs,
one that is an admin ID, one that isn't. The one that isn't they can modify
their personal info on to their hearts content, the admin one, tell them
hands off.

Now if you don't have those symptoms above, it would greatly help the
troubleshooting process if you collected a DSACLS dump of one of the userids
in question and posted it...

Ex:

[Tue 04/13/2004 21:38:58.26]
F:\DEV\cpp\MemberOf>dsacls CN=$joebobadmindude,CN=Users,DC=joe,DC=com
Access list:
{This object is protected from inheriting permissions from the parent}
Effective Permissions on this object are:
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS
                                                  READ PERMISSONS
                                                  LIST CONTENTS
                                                  READ PROPERTY
                                                  LIST OBJECT
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS
                                                  READ PERMISSONS
                                                  LIST CONTENTS
                                                  READ PROPERTY
                                                  LIST OBJECT
Allow JOE\Domain Admins                           SPECIAL ACCESS
                                                  READ PERMISSONS
                                                  WRITE PERMISSIONS
                                                  CHANGE OWNERSHIP
                                                  CREATE CHILD
                                                  DELETE CHILD
                                                  LIST CONTENTS
                                                  WRITE SELF
                                                  WRITE PROPERTY
                                                  READ PROPERTY
                                                  LIST OBJECT
                                                  CONTROL ACCESS
Allow JOE\Enterprise Admins                       SPECIAL ACCESS
                                                  READ PERMISSONS
                                                  WRITE PERMISSIONS
                                                  CHANGE OWNERSHIP
                                                  CREATE CHILD
                                                  DELETE CHILD
                                                  LIST CONTENTS
                                                  WRITE SELF
                                                  WRITE PROPERTY
                                                  READ PROPERTY
                                                  LIST OBJECT
                                                  CONTROL ACCESS
Allow BUILTIN\Administrators                      SPECIAL ACCESS
                                                  DELETE
                                                  READ PERMISSONS
                                                  WRITE PERMISSIONS
                                                  CHANGE OWNERSHIP
                                                  CREATE CHILD
                                                  DELETE CHILD
                                                  LIST CONTENTS
                                                  WRITE SELF
                                                  WRITE PROPERTY
                                                  READ PROPERTY
                                                  LIST OBJECT
                                                  CONTROL ACCESS
Allow NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users            SPECIAL ACCESS
                                                  READ PERMISSONS
                                                  LIST CONTENTS
                                                  READ PROPERTY
                                                  LIST OBJECT
Allow NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM                         FULL CONTROL
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Account
Restrictions
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Account
Restrictions
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Logon
Information
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Logon
Information
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Group
Membership
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Group
Membership
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for General
Information
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for General
Information
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Remote
Access Information
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access  SPECIAL ACCESS for Remote
Access Information
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow JOE\Cert Publishers                         SPECIAL ACCESS for
userCertificate
                                                  WRITE PROPERTY
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Windows Authorization Access Group  SPECIAL ACCESS for
tokenGroupsGlobalAndUniversal
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow BUILTIN\Terminal Server License Servers     SPECIAL ACCESS for
terminalServer
                                                  WRITE PROPERTY
                                                  READ PROPERTY
Allow Everyone                                    Change Password
Allow NT AUTHORITY\SELF                           Change Password

The command completed successfully

[Tue 04/13/2004 21:39:04.93]

http://www.joeware.net   (download joeware)
http://www.cafeshops.com/joewarenet  (wear joeware)