I will try to make the long story short:

2 W2K3 forests with transitive forest trust (abc.com and xyz.com)
xyz.com is "resource forest"
abc.com is "user accounts forest" (child.abc.com is a child domain)

I logged on to forest xyz.com DC with account from child domain of
forest abc.com ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) which is a member of local
Administrators group in xyz.com domain

I created a new GPO and edited the GP object's ACL:
- domain local group "XYZ\NewGPOOwner" contains a domain global group
from the child domain of the other forest: CHILD\xyzGPOOwners
- Account I am logged on with is a member of CHILD\xyzGPOOwners which
makes me also a member of ABC\NewGPOOwners
- Added a domain local group "XYZ\NewGPOOwners" with Full permissions
except "Apply Group Policy" (this makes it Read/Write and Create/Delete
child objects)
- Removed myself from the ACL
- Changed the owner of the object to "XYZ\NewGPOOwners" domain local
group.

Now the funny part:
All permissions behave as expected: I can modify the GPO, change
permissions, change owner, etc...
BUT if I go to Effective permissions tab and select my
[EMAIL PROTECTED] account, it shows me that I have read only
permissions (just like Authenticated Users).

If I select CHILD\xyzGPOOwners group from account forest (member of
XYZ\NewGPOOwner group), the UI shows that the group has no permissions.

If I select XYZ\NewGPOOwner group, I get the correct permissions.

A little bit confusing and quite inconsistent I would say...

To me it looks like security principals are not processed correctly by
UI, but the OS enforces the correct permissions.
>From wht I understand, this behavior is similar to partial SID
filtering: the SIDs of user groups from another forest are not
enumerated by UI (despite the fact that the OS enumerates the group
membership correctly)

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Guy
--
Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface