That's a pretty common scenario in many types of business.  We all do
business with partners and have to face this at some point.  Most businesses
have since they started with EDI, but they security wasn't as high-profile
as it is these days for many of them.

To paraphrase the question, "how do you securely grant access to internal
resources for non-employees (FTE's)? Do you use AD or some other way?"

Unfortunately for this conversation I think the only accurate answer could
be that it depends.  If you work in a place where there is a risk that your
administrative process could allow improper access to a resource, I would
say you should "firewall" non-FTE access away from sensitive systems.  If
your process and policy can withstand the risk, then why not make it easier
to manage for you and your staff?  Active Directory is handling your
Identification, Authentication, and Authorization for your internal
employees and you are extending some level of trust to these others.  Many
shops don't use Active Directory for their Authorization, especially when it
comes to web/intranet.  Tends to be better products for that.  Not a lot of
better products for Identification and Authorization (many as good using the
same technology for the most part; they don't tend to be as reliable from a
topology standpoint)

That said, if you don't use Active Directory for this access, what would you
use instead?  Would you store the identity in the AD and use something else
for authentication and authorization?  Would you create a totally separate
IAA scheme to handle this?  Is it worth it?

My own personal belief is that contractors are under the exact same
obligations as my FTE's and are no more trustworthy (nor less). I believe I
have an obligation to provide them with the service and to make it as secure
as I can, while keeping everything as simple and cost-effective as I can.  I
have no problems giving that kind of access via Active Directory as long as
my account lifecycle management processes and systems are where they should
be.  I think it is critical to have these policies and enforcement
mechanisms in place to ensure that access is only given where it belongs
regardless of mistakes etc.

Al