Hi,

A related issue that we had arose in our Training Lab. We image the Workstations then roll them back at the end of the course. Works great for a month or so, then the workstation changes its password and then when you reimage it the domain rejects it. You have to disconnect it from the domain and re add it.

We hassled Microsoft for a long time and finally got the following info. We have implemented it and the re imaging process has worked for the last 6 weeks. Let's hope it keeps working.

Has anyone tried this approach with or without success, and can anyone see any security issues with doing it?

Microsoft Support comment:-
Regardless, the basic answer is that under normal circumstances, the client
machine is responsible for resetting its own password, and the interval at
which the machine changes its password is configurable through the client
registry, and can be disabled altogether:

175468 Effects of Machine Account Replication on a Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175468

154501 How to disable automatic machine account password changes
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=154501

So, setting either registry key on the client machines you want to vary the
interval on should allow you to accomplish your objective. If the machines
are Windows 2000 +, this can also be set through Local Security Policy,
using the "Maximum machine account password age" setting (Domain Member:
same text if Windows XP).

Alan Cuthbertson

Policy Management Software:- http://www.sysprosoft.com/pol_summary.shtml