You don't specify whether your disks or IDE or not but I will assume yes so you may want to take a peek at

Basically it could be a possible LBA issue. I have seen this on XP personally and luckily one of my good friends had already encountered it and given me a heads up.

  joe

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lou Vega
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 11:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Anyone experienced this? Volume "dissapears" after DCPromo?

I’m curious if anyone else out there has experienced this.

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server – updated with SP4 and all the latest patches, etc.

I ran DCPromo – to add it to an existing domain. Prior to the DCPromo – I had two volumes C and D each at 189 GB (it’s a server I’m building for testing)

Both volumes were formatted NTFS though there weren’t but a few BKF files of this server on the D volume.

Immediately after my DCPromo – I rebooted and got the following error message:

lsass.exe - System Error : Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Service cannot start. Error Status: 0xc00002e1. Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information.

Fortunately for me a Google search turned up the following KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258007 ) and I was able to go into DS Restore mode, and using NDSUTIL SET PATH change the path of my NTDS Log files….(so my “emergency” of a failed DCPromo is solved! Whooo hoo!!!) here’s the kicker – the reason for the error and the failure was because now the D volume is “unrecognized” – Windows reports it as “Unformatted – do you want to format now?” and when you try it fails.

Is there a limit to the size of a volume that AD recognizes? The original cause of the error is because when I was running the DCPromo and it asked where I wanted to put the DB and Log files, I picked C:\winnt\ntds for the DB and D:\winnt\ntds for the Log files – then for some reason D became unrecognized after the Promo was finished. Anyone else seen this?

r/

Lou