A mightly number of options there from Tony and Joe - we are looking at MIIS as a possible solution for a number of systems - Openldap, Oracle OID, NDS and some ADAM solutions. I like MIIS, and I think an organisation with a number of systems such as ours can only have any level of consistent integration with a Metadirectory tool such as MIIS. I've written some VB provisioning scripts to integrate with the AD connectors, but I've a long way to go! I'm even considering using MS Access to at least get some simple validation forms in place. We know who is administering the directory, there is no issue of rouge administrators.

Cheers 4 the advice

Ian

Tony Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Ian

I think the main problem with modifying ADUC is that you really need to ensure tight version control afterwards.   For example if, as you state, data entry validation is one of your goals then how do you ensure people are not using uncontrolled, non-modified versions of ADUC?

One approach that works quite well is to develop a web font-end and proxy all your admin tasks through that.  This has a number of advantages, e.g

  • Tight version control.  With a limited and controlled distribution you know everyone is using the same version.
  • Good data entry validation.  You can specify exactly the validation that you need.
  • The ability to use a separate (proxy) account to perform tasks.  For example, if an admin creates a computer object, this sets the admin's account as the owner of the object and this confers certain rights.  You may not want this for a variety of reasons, so it is better to have one account as the owner for all computer objects.
The resources involved in developing a solution such as this are quite high, but the benefits to larger organisations are obvious.  Also, the developer resources available now are much better than they were a few years ago.  Many people have done this before, so you should be able to find good samples on the web for what you need to achieve.

There are some good third party solutions available, but these may not provide you with the granularity of control you require (IMHO).

Tony