Hello Chuck;

Microsoft offers guidelines for allowing administrator access to redirected user folders as mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288991.  In the article it is mentioned not to allow users exclusive access, rather allow permissions to inherit from the "CREATOR OWNER" object which will give the user "exclusive" access, so I suppose the term "exclusive" is trivial :-)

I'm sorry I was unclear regarding "copying folder contents".  I was referring to while I was logged on locally as administrator equivalent I was able to copy the folder elsewhere using the explorer interface (without attempting to browse the folder contents).  I was also able to retrieve a directory listing using a command prompt which is also confusing.

It's very interesting to see everyone's thoughts on the issue I am greatful for all of the help :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chuck Oppermann
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 3:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: explorer.exe hangs on folder access

Everything I’ve learned about redirected folders is that users should have exclusive rights to their own folder.  When you say that the “desktop is never created” do you mean that items that are located in the desktop folder are never shown?  It would seem that if desktop isn’t being created that explorer is having problems accessing that location.  Maybe it’s being redirected as well?

If you can, when the user experiences this problem, DO NOT have them logon again.  Instead, as administrator, review the machine’s registry.  In particular, find the user’s profile and examine the entries in their \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\ key.

Do those reflect valid locations that the user has rights to?

I’m confused that you say you can copy the folder contents using Explorer, but “Explorer.exe hangs when any PC attempts to access the user folder (including locally on the server).”  If this only happens when users (vs. admins) access the folder, then it’s almost certainly a permissions issue.

Of course, Explorer.exe shouldn’t hang.  That’s a bug.  It should gracefully exit and log errors, but that’s another discussion.

Best practices:

<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/enterprise/proddocs/en-us/sag_sp_bestprac_foldred.asp>

---Chuck