-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Fleischman
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 11:49 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] lsass.exe process causing high CPU on DCs

Pardon me for starting a new thread from the original post, I'm taking a
different approach......

This is TOTALLY one of my FAVORITE types of issues to work. I work at
least half a dozen of these a week. Here's my standard action plan that
I use when an engineer here comes to me with one:

1) First, yank the NIC, does CPU drop. I want to understand if it is a
localized operation or something coming over the wire.
2) Take note: does CPU go up on many DCs at once or just one? Just a
good observation.
3) Collect the following data:
        a) Start perfmon, all counters, say 10 second intervals (run
this for half an hour or so)
        b) Get at least 5 mins of adperf spew (or spa if you're on 2k03,
we just released that to the web yesterday)
        c) Collect at least 5 usermode dumps of lsass in 15-30 second
intervals (I use userdump.exe, but there are other choices)
        d) If CPU dropped in step 1 above, take at least 2 mins of wide
open trace during problem state; be sure to make buffer large (50MB+) so
it doesn't wrap.

This is a great starting point to understand what the DC is chewing on.
If you want help looking at the data just holler.

~Eric