usually static records also have different ACLs - i.e. records that were registered by machineX have an ACL which grant machineX write privs to the respective DNS AD object.

note that by default in Win2000 a static record added to DNS by an administrator was granting Authenticated Users write privs to the record => which means it can be overwritten by any machine or use. Not so static afterall...  You may want to check your ACLs.

This was changed in Win2003 (I'm not sure, but I think it was also changed in 2000 SP4).

/Guido

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Deji Akomolafe
Sent: Dienstag, 8. Juni 2004 05:23
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Identify STATIC records in AD DNS

Have you tried parsing the output of "dnscmd DNSServerName /ZonePrint ZoneName /Detail" ?

Records without scavenging timestamp will have the following clue: "dwTimeStamp  = 0 ([ 0: 0: 0] [ 1/ 1/1601])"

HTH

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday?  -anon