>       Design Questions
>       1) Do you centralize into 1 centralized site and back haul all
> network logon and exchange traffic to 1 site?
I don't think that's a requirement.  I like Roger's thinking on this, but
I'd be concerned with available bandwidth and not just the amount of
potential bandwidth mentioned in your original post.  Bandwidth needs will
depend on the client type, the usage patterns (concurrency etc), and how you
use Active Directory (DFS?, file/print?, GPO settings etc).

>       2) What are the base numbers of DC's / GC's you would need support
> this config (what are the metrics of dc gc
> logons/server/processor)

Two's the bare minimum for any installation IMHO.  I think you may need more
for the Exchange support, but that's up to you. The rule of thumb
recommendation is to have one GC proc per 4 Exchange procs.(see Roger's
comment).  However, it's not that cut and dry.  What the rule of thumb
recommendation is getting at is to have one to four MHZ on initial
deployment indicating performance is a factor and that you're using MAPI
clients.  Keep in mind that 2002 and above clients will all use GC's for
their directory.  Exchange uses the directory for lookups, so keeping GC's
in the same site is a good idea.

>       3) what is the typical traffic usage used during an xp network logon

> session? (DHCP, DNS, Kerberos TGT, and outlook 2002 mapi logon)

DHCP is minimal and can be configured to stay low impact on your network.
DNS can also be minimal depending on usage.  Kerberos is a little more, but
it's usually not too terribly bad.  Outlook 2002 is more than 2003 version
unless you use cached mode.  Then it's about equal from what I've seen.  If
you use it in MAPI mode, you get some enhancements in 2003 that make the
bandwidth a little less. The best way to see this is to pilot it and get a
feel for how it looks in your environment since no two companies (or sites
for that matter) have the same usage pattern.

Keep in mind that you can look at your 5.5 implementation to get a general
feel for how it would look with centralized 2003.  That's because you'd be
reinventing 5.5 with separate directory servers (GC's) in the same location.
Take a look at your current bandwidth to get an estimate of how Exchange
would look in your environment.  You can look on Microsoft's site or
bandwidth expectations of Active Directory, but I'd be more comfortable with
a pilot myself.

Al