Hi Roger,

This is interesting. When I was going through the design process a couple of years ago that was pretty much the best practice according to Microsoft (primarily the Branch Office guides) where the 'island' problem was laid out. We also had this validated by an external source.

Our Unix/ BIND environment has a similar configuration (well basically 127.0.0.1) but its not fair to compare that.

Carefully reading that KB article reflects pretty much the same scenario. If I think about it further, both these child DC's are in the same network segment with very connectivity, so resolution (for that DC as a DNS client) is local and so is re-registration through (netlogon.dns) the netlogon service. But neither DC is authoritative for the zone that comprises the domain controller locator CNAME record for DsaGuid._msdcs.ForestName.

In fact, the article even states that after all these records are updated through ADI (in the forest root domain) the DNS servers may be changed to point themselves as their P DNS.....

I am finding it hard to grasp this conecpt.

Thanks,

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Roger Seielstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Checklist for changing IP Address on DC Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:46:49 -0400

I'm with Rick on this one - even though its not the root domain, it
doesn't matter. I'd still have all DC's point to peers for DNS
resolution.

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.