From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 1:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Authoritative Restores

I'd appreciate some comments on this technique as a cheap and cheerful disaster
recovery plan for making minor changes to AD, e.g. deleting user accounts.

Make sure one DC is fully synchronised and then shut it down.
Delete a user account on another DC, deletion replicates everywhere.
Oh no! That user account was used as the service account for 300 SQL servers worldwide.
Bring the powered-down DC up in DS Restore mode.
Do an authoritative restore of the AD database (*without* first doing a
non-authoritative restore).
Server reboots to normal mode, deleted user account that still exists here is now
marked as authoratative and replicates back to the other DC's (Yes?)

I've never before considered doing an authoritative restore without doing a
non-authoritative one beforehand so just want to check my logic on this.

Cheers,
Simon
.  .+-j! 0j! or yïíIãV+v*

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm