Hey Ulf - can you just script it?

   joe

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ulf B. Simon-Weidner
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 6:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Delegation of Callback-Number

Hi there,

I have a customer who where we implemented the least permissions
necessary for each group fulfilling administrative tasks. One of those
tasks is that they are required that just a small group has the
permissions to grant RAS permissions, and every useraccount is forced
to be called back to a previously set number. To scale that solution
better, the user-helpdesk should be able to change the callback-number,
but they are not allowed to do anything else in the RAS-Permissions.

Those are the requirements. Point.

Couple month ago I discovered some bugs in the ADUC Dial-In Tab. After
installing a hotfix that allows non-administrator accounts to see the
dialin-tab and figuring out that I need to set the permissions for the
helpdesk for the msRadiusCallbackNumber and the userProperties
attributes I figured that there's an additional bug in the tab: the
helpdesk is now able to change the Callback-Number in the interface,
however as soon as they click on Apply or OK there's an error that the
rights are not sufficient.

This is a bug, which is verified by Microsoft.

The only way to delegate the permissions on the RAS Tab - due to the
bug - is to grant the group full permissions on everything of the
RAS-Tab. This is not acceptable in our case.

Now comes why I'm posting:

We have a open call at PSS, already did a CDCR and political impact,
but MS told us that they think it's not a option requested by customers
and they need at least another customer with that requirement to fix
that. I do not believe that we are the only ones with that request -
however I do believe that those out there who had a request like that
stopped early in the process instead of going the way through.

So if anyone of you knows a company which has those requirements and
would like to have that fixed, contact me asap to see if we are able to
get that fixed. As far as I was told from PSS they'd like to get that
fixed too but are unable to assign developer-resources for it if it's
not requested by the market.

This issue bugs me since the beginning of the year :-(

Gruesse - Sincerely,

Ulf B. Simon-Weidner