WINS isn't used at all for this stuff for 2k+ in an AD domain.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kern, Tom
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 9:28 AM
To: ActiveDir (E-mail)
Subject: [ActiveDir] user/domain selection

what is the under the hood process that windows gets the user listing when
you add members to a group. I mean the drop down list where you select a
domain or entire directory? is that gotten from a gc via dns?

also, when you join a pc to a forest and suddenly all the domains appear in
the drop down list. how does it get that?
In network neighborhood in enitre network those domains also appear(i
thought "entire network" was netbios based and would use wins but our wins
servers in the forest are not configured to push/pull with each other and
still the domains appear)?
just curious. sorry if this sounds really basic or obvious.