From: Free, Bob
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 11:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] NTP

Rimmerman, Russ <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What's everyone syncing all their clocks up with?

We have our own enterprise NTP servers, the forest root DCs synch to
them. Everything else in AD is in NT5DS mode and time flows down the
domain hierarchy. The [gag] remaining NT boxes, have W32time pointed to
the AD DC's and get time via SNTP.

> Do Win2k AD domain controllers automatically respond to SNTP requests?

Not sure exactly what you mean-

A] Yes they will serve time to a SNTP client, but, you don't want any
SNTP clients in your forest, they should all be in NT5DS mode. You want
the time to flow down the tree.

B] You can use ntpdate on a *NIX box or the W32 port of ntpdate to get a
quick picture of how everything is peering up in the forest, what
stratum the machines are in and how accurately they are keeping time.
W32Time won't answer all NTP requests but the ones in the SNTP spec
work.

> We are currently
> running a firewall that acts as a NTP server for all our internal PCs
> (Symantec Enterprise FW) and we're looking at switching to a NetScreen
> firewall which does not.  We're trying to figure out where we should
> redirect all our time requests to.  How are you doing it?

Where do your routers get their time? Cisco routers have very accurate
clocks according to our NTP guru, (he's very fussy and wants the Stratum
1 machines within a few ms of each other) A lot of people just synch
their DC to a core router that's synched to something like USNO or if
running DNS on *NIX, they run NTP on the DNS boxes.. Some people in
simpler networks just punch a hole for UDP 123 to their forest root PDCe
and synch it directly to the internet sources like USNO.