What I have noticed, in the couple of test I have done, is that if the installer is a MSI package, it will immediately be denied any further access.  If it is a *.exe then there may be progress on the installation and it is up to the *.exe on how to proceed.  If a *.exe is used, the system itself appears never to be modified except within the users own profile allotted space.

I am not sure how to restrict file extensions on a folder.  Do you have more information on this?

I know that I can remove execute permissions but this will take some work to do and resolve my issue. ß  I am not complaining about the work.  Just that it will take some time.

I guess if there is a way to filter out certain executables I would want to filter them all out.  So I guess removing execute access will be the best way.  But this would also mean I would have to remove this type of permission to their desktop or My Documents since they could also install such a program there providing it was under their 10MB limit.  But to go that far would be nasty and I don’t think it would be recommended.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Wassell
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 9:33 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Fileserver and Self-Executing Programs

The first thing that comes to mind is disabling Windows Installer for non-managed apps via GPO, considering you are already doing something similar as you had mentioned that may be the most viable solution.

Otherwise, I'm not sure if its possible or how difficult it would be to implement but you could restrict the use of certain file extensions in the user folder tree which would prevent users from running executables for instance.

Just two ideas... I'm sure there will be more