I read your post to say, Hi, I got the 1119 but the GCs are responding as GCs even
though the RootDSE says they are. My one thought is... Have they been rebooted since
the 1119?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Desmond
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 5:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] GC Promotion Problems

I've got a test lab setup with 11 DCs mirroring a production environment. The lab is
setup on one box using MS Virtual Server. The host is an 8 way 16Gig machine, it can
handle the load fine. Routing between the three subnets is virtualized with RRAS and
appears to work fine.

That said, I can't get the GCs promoted right. I just noticed this problem today,
following a full LDIF import of our environment (close to 2 million objects across
three domains). I successfully promoted one, and when I ldp against RootDSE,
isGlobalCatalogReady = True. For the rest of the DCs, they log that they're GCs in the
event log, but isGlobalCatalogReady = False.

When I goto add an object from another domain into a group, for example, I use AD U &
C. After selecting the root domain, the listbox which would usually contain the
principals int he domain says "No objects are available for this location.". I tried
selecting the other of the two domains, and it just sits with the flashlight searching.

DCDiag and NetDiag passes all tests on each DC, and replication is clearly working
given all the objects imported across the board.

Any suggestions for resolving this?

Thanks,
Brian Desmond
.+-w i 0g-íí+Yb mPi 0 -íí+b Úf.+-j! 0j! or yïíIãV+v*

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm