From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 11/08/2004 18:51
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Printer organization in AD?

Hi guys,

I was just having an interesting chat with one of our customers, and he
raised a very good question..  :-)

They are a global organization, and consequently have thousands of
printers, in hundreds of locations.  Today, there is just a flat namespace (I think
it's just built into AD) to enumerate printers.

We were wondering what could be done to rearrange printers, so that they
appear in a structured directory -- perhaps with top level OUs
representing regions or countries, mid-level OUs cities, low-level OUs
buildings, lower-level OUs floors, etc., to make it easier for traveling
users to find and connect to a nearby printer.

My question to you guys is -- what if anything are you doing to organize
printers in AD?  Do you let users browse for and attach to new printers,
especially as they travel within the organization?  Do you simply use a
flat namespace and preconfigure workstations with the most likely printer in the
vicinity of the user's assigned workspace?

Inquiring minds want to know!  :-)

Thanks,

-- Idan

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm