WMI also allows for remote processes to be executed allowing for the remote
execution to be managed in a script/application.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Creamer, Mark
Sent: 22 September 2004 15:10
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] robust alternative to rcmd

Yep, but here's the problem. An application requires that its nightly backup
requires same-point-in-time backups of: a SQL Server db on Server A and File
shares on Server B. So the best way I could think of to accomplish that is
using SQL's Job scheduler to:

1. stop the service on the application server B 2. Dump the SQL database to
a file on SQL Server A 3. run ntbackup on Server B to capture the file
shares to a file 4. restart the service on B

Later, our tape backup grabs the sql dump and the file share backup.

I thought the best way to run the ntbackup piece would be to launch it
remotely from the SQL job scheduler, because the file share is about 1.5 GB
and I'd rather not transfer that across the network by having ntbackup run
on the sql server and backing up across a UNC path.

I'm going to try telnet now also, but I'm glad to hear anyone's ideas on
this problem, especially if you think I'm approaching this wrong.

<mc>