We don’t push out enough clients to merit ghost. About 5-10 a month.

We just get the preinstalled os with HP and run thru the mini setup and install AV,Office,patch,etc.

Do you think ghost would be better in this environment?

Do you guys use RIS at all?

From: Dan DeStefano [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 9:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT:spyware

For the last part, have you thought about desktop imaging using a product such as Symantec Ghost or Altiris Client Management Suite? Then you could create standard desktop images for your clients. Then you could implement folder redirection to redirect users' My Documents folders to their home folders on the network and, if you want, enable roaming profiles so that user profiles are stored on a server. Then configure the NTFS permissions on the client machines so that the only place locally that users can write to would be their user profile directory (users would obviously need to be restricted users on the local machines, not administrators). This would make the data on the client machines expendible, so if you have an outbreak and the machine gets totally borked, you could simply re-image it. There are other aspects to this as well - if the user's roaming profile or home folder is infected you would have to clean it, but that can be done from your workstation and you wouldn't have to visit every machine.

Just an idea

Daniel DeStefano