Laura,

I would suggest you look at the following security policy options to
determine if they are being applied to your infrastructure.

A couple of notes about this statement....

These settings are typically are not likely being configured via GPO, so
you will have to look at the local computer policy on each of the domain
controllers to determine the configuration.  W2K and W2K3 and have
different defaults for some of these settings so that may be the
difference you are seeing.

Of course be sure that these are appropriate (won't break anything) for
your environment before making any modifications.  For example, enabling
the first setting (below) may break the functionality of trust
relationships with any NT4 domains.

Network access: Allow anonymous SID/Name translation
(should be disabled)
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts
(should be enabled)
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and
shares
(should be enabled)
Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users
(should be disabled)
Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares
(should be enabled)

As for why you are seeing the 529s on the 2000 DCs and not the 2003 DCs,
aside from the above, it is possible that the attackers got a list of
the 2000 DCs (via DNS) before you introduced the W2K3 server and
therefore are not aware that it exists.

It is also possible that the SAM enumeration that occurred, giving the
attacker his/her list of usernames, was not done from the outside.
Possibly a trojan (or something else) on the inside?

Regards,

Aric