Kern, Tom wrote:

they really should delegate you authority for your AD zone and these issues will go
away.

Not really. We still would have a shared IP address space so reverse lookups in AD would still be disabled and would have to be manually registered in the campus DNS system. There really isn't a good way to do it in environments like ours. Luckily Microsoft has realized that and added appropriate configuration/policy options.

point your dns server from your child domain to the root as a forwarder or pull down a
secondary copy of the root AD domain would be even better.

until then or if then, maybe if you fiddle around with your dns properties on the dc's network adapter. like uncheck "append parent suffixes of the primary dns suffix"

I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with the server thinking it has two names. It probably happened during the initial dcpromo when it was pointing to two different dns systems. (btw, this is a single forest/single domain) Either way, its going to be a pain to correct so I'm just going to recommend that they join our central forest which is properly configured.

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Robbie

-- Robbie Foust, IT Analyst OIT/CASI - Administrative Information Support Duke University