-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mulnick, Al
Sent: Wednesday, 3 November 2004 1:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Write Cache Enabled

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/disk_cache.html is a reference for what it
is.

Disk cache is a very dangerous thing when it comes to JET DB technology.
The reason is that if the disk device loses power, or corrupts before it can
commit to media, then you lose that bit of data likely corrupting the db.
If the db is not so far gone that it can't replicate, your problems get
worse.  You should see SAN implementations of DC's and the conversations it
generates ;)

On-disk caching is a way for vendors to squeeze a little more speed out of
the platters.  Consider two 15K scsi drives.  One provides 10us write commit
time (for example) while the other provides 2us write commit time.  The
difference?  Cache. If you can commit to cache vs. the platter, it's much
much faster as you buffer the writes until the platter is in an optimal
position to write to media. Great for applications that are random r/w types
with heavy or equal write signatures i.e. file and print applications or
presentation applications.

JET db technology can be very disk IO intensive. That's because it's a
two-phase commit database technology; a good one too.  But as you scale the
database you tend to have more disk activity as more and more transactions
take place.  Microsoft has gotten quite good at figuring out what works and
what doesn't and one thing they've learned is when to use JET DB technology;
a typical JET db deployment is likely to be more read-intensive than it is
write intensive.  A good application for JET technology is something that
has at least a 2.5 or 3:1 read/write signature.  The more read-intensive,
the more likely that JET technology will be a good fit.  Sound like an
application you're familiar with?  LDAP is a read-intensive application by
design and great read response is required to scale it successfully.  Active
Directory would be an example of a LDAP database that needs great read
performance with some write performance.

Some implementations of LDAP have adapted other db technology, such as DB2,
Oracle, etc. to house their LDAP data stores.  Microsoft chose their JET
(JET Blue if I recall correctly, but don't quote me)engine.

Since JET DB applications tend to be very read-intensive, the risk/reward of
disk cache is not in your favor.  Your better bet is to give the application
the amount of spindles required to gain the IOPS needed to satisfy the
performance needs of your application.  In the case of Active Directory,
separate the IO types to gain better performance (sequential IO on one set
of dedicated spindles being your biggest performance booster) etc.

Don't be fooled by the use of battery backup technology.  It's not worth it
and it usually comes on the array controllers only not on the disk device
itself.  The array controller battery backup is intended to protect against
power failures when data is in the array cache, which of course is there to
provide better performance.  But the cache is considered flushed when the
controller receives a successful commit response from the disk device. The
disk device will send a positive response when you write to it's cache.
It's at that point that you tend to be vulnerable to problems (i.e.
corruption) for very little performance gain.

Turn off the disk caching and you'll barely notice a difference if you've
laid out your disk appropriately for your implementation. But you'll greatly
reduce your risk.  Microsoft knows what they're doing when they suggest you
turn it off, trust me on that.

al