If anyone here is interested, I have been able to nail the issue.
After deeper investigation, I found that moving the W2K3 servers into client's OU
(different GPOs that force the client to "Send NTLMv2 response only") resolved the
issue.
The problem was caused by domain member servers of forestA.com not being able to
negotiate NTLM dialect with forestA.com DCs.
forestA.com DCs are configured to "Send NTLMv2 response only". Windows servers (if not
explicitly configured) default to "Send LM&NTLM responses" (see
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/576.asp

<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/576.asp>
  for details)
forestB.com DCs are using less strict Domain Controllers GPO, hence servers in
forestA.com were able to negotiate NTLM dialect with forestB.com DCs, but not with
forestA.com DCs.
The interesting part is that apparently Task Scheduler is not capable of doing
Kerberos and tries only NTLM (and I was trying to chase Kerberos)

So for the sake of others: if you configure your DCs to "Send NTLMv2 only", the
default settings of W2K3 member servers will prevent them from talking to DCs using
NTLM. Forcing the clients to "Send NTLMv2" will make the problem disappear.

Guy