Verify as in verify that garbage isn't in the proxyaddresses field. What
does that mean to me?

Things I have commonly seen

1. Values that mean nothing (i.e. value but no label), like say the whole
value is @domain.com or alice or something else silly.

2. A label but no value, like SMTP: or X400:

3. Duped labels like X400:X400

4. Duplicate addresses, x400 or smtp or ms or ccmail or ? Any dupes are bad.
At the Widget factory we had 50+ conference room mailboxes
sharing x400 addresses that were migrated from 5.5, it was a mess. Whether
that was due to the special provisioning and such or something in the
migration I never heard and not sure anyone figured it out, I identified
them, they fixed them.

5. Invalid characters in smtp addresses like spaces, unicode, special
characters.

6. Invalid smtp address format like [EMAIL PROTECTED]@joeware.net  or joe@

7. Invalid x400... Though this one I have had to do manually in terms of
what the proper values for the pieces are, would like to work that out
programmatically as well to make it more generic. Also what characters
aren't valid for x400?

Then there is bloat, like having SNADS or PROFS or CCMAIL or MSMAIL entries
and you only have Exchange email.

Most of this could be attributed to provisioning systems gone bad or bad
scripts or people just putting garbage in through interfaces that allow it
(proxyAddresses is simply a MV attribute in AD). I wouldn't put it past the
system in various versions making a mistake and putting something there. I
haven't known of anything in particular doing it but have run into occasions
where there was no other simple explanation and could never be duplicated
using any methods allegedly being used.

I don't think the best practices analyzer does it though I should positively
rule it out.

It seems as a rule AD tends to get messy as most people aren't looking at
cleaning it up. The Exchange attributes seem to be even more ripe in some
environments because people are positively afraid to touch anything in the
Exchange attributes.