AD comes with Windows 2003 you just have to run DCPROMO on the server
and be sure that you have DNS configured since AD cannot exist without
DNS

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Romeyn Prescott
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] AD & OpenLDAP

Greetings.

I have just joined this list and I know next to nothing about Active
Directory.  We support most of our services with Linux whenever
possible and still have an NT4 Domain Controller which will soon be
replaced by a Linux box running Samba.  The NT PDC is NOT the
authoritative source for our user account info, however.  That is
sync'd with another server via some custom code that was written by
one of our sysadmins.

My chief responsibility is Computer Lab/Classroom support, and I have
been stuck using gpedit at the local level, not having had a Win2000
or 2003 server to play with, let alone AD.  That is changing.  We
have just purchased a Windows 2003 server to meet another need, and I
have a couple of questions which I hope are not out of line for this
list:

1) Does Active Directory come with Server 2003, or is it some sort of
"add-on" which must be purchased separately.  (Microsoft's web site
seems, in at least one location, to indicate that it comes with it,
but I just want to be sure.)

2) We have a relatively new OpenLDAP server (also running on Linux)
which also mirrors our account base.  Given that we do NOT want the
Windows 2003 server to be "the" source for our user accounts, is it
possible to tell it to synchronize with an OpenLDAP server?  Is such
a task "trivial," "complicated," or "impossible?"

I thank you in advance for your time,
...ROMeyn
--
signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm