True - but that also makes the assumption that Computer Browsing is
robust.  The reason that things have moved to DNS - Computer Browsing is
not robust, and not standard.  It hasn't been enhanced in some time,
though WINS now works better - just in time to deprecate it....

;o)

Rick Kingslan
Windows Server - Directory Services MVP

Leslie
> > Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 4:47 PM
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Master Browser
> >
> > Do you still suggest turning it off on all servers and workstations
> > (as per
> > your KB article), even in an all W2K or better environment?
> > We have done
> > so (via group policy) for quite some time, but recently ended up
> > having to defend this decision to an admin in one of our other
> > offices, because he was encountering browse list issues in his
domain.

> > (We have left it running on the Domain Controllers only.)
> >
> >     Tyson.

Stabl
> > > Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 12:01 PM
> > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: [ActiveDir] Master Browser
> > >
> > > One of my DC's is returning the following error and I'm not
> > sure what
> > do:
> > >

> > > The browser has received a server announcement indicating that the
> > > computer
> > > CCDC01 is a master browser, but this computer is not a
> > master browser.
> > >

> > > Event ID 8005
> > >

> > > This DC holds none of the FSMO roles so I'm not sure what I need
> > > tell this server so I don't get this error anymore.
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Jake

> > List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm
> > List archive: