fully agree

/Guido

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Perdue David J Contr InDyne/Enterprise IT
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 1:05 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Syskey and AD

Sorry, but except for a backup during a migration or the like, of what use is a DC if it's not running?  ;)  I had an NT4.0 domain with SYSKEY enabled.  When our network security folks needed to test accounts for password strength using l0phtcrack we had to use rdisk to provide them a copy of the unencrypted sam that they could then run l0phtcrack against.  That led me to believe that just because the DC is running, the sam isn't automatically decrypted.

I'm not saying that encrypting the sam isn't a good idea.  I'm saying that it isn't the end all be all of security.  As you said, Guido, reboot to an alternate OS like Nordahl's disk does.  Or string together one of the myriad of vulnerabilities of the Windows platform to gain access to an admin session or use an elevated privileges attack from a client and then use rdisk remotely in an NT 4.0 environment, take the unencrypted sam offline and crack it at will and come back in with a legitimate account.  Heck, if it's an NT4.0 environment, Exchange 5.5 is probably used and Exchange is nice enough to cache the Exchange Service account and password unencrypted in the registry of systems with the Exchange Console installed.  And if anyone doubts either, I had a white hat team do both to me.

I think everyone realizes that security now a days isn't a case of keeping someone determined out indefinitely, but out long enough to find out they are there and catch/stop them.

Dave

David J. Perdue
Network Security Engineer, InDyne Inc