Ok. Let’s just say that was scary-easy (i.e., deploying new machines). Thanks! Wow, if only real life could run in RAM.

Someone asked me to describe generally what I was looking to do. I want to setup a test environment that contains:

2 DCs

1 Exchange box

1 database server

1+ XP Pro client

1+ W2k Pro client

This is really just to test GPOs, Exchange functionality, etc. So, all of this (it seems) could be done in a virtual network with access to the Internet via a virtual router/ISA box.

The one thing that I can’t figure out is that this client has a requirement to attach Mac OS X workstations to the network. Macs obviously can’t run in the virtual environment. To mimic the production environment, they need to be on the same subnet and so should not hop through the virtual router. What would you suggest? This is interaction with real network is what leaves me scratching my head a bit.

-- nme

Here’s how I dupe virtual machines:

Create a master image, sysprep it, shut it down.

Mark the vhd as read-only

I then create virtual hard disks with the “Differencing” option, using this sysprepp’ed vhd as the base

I attach the new virtual servers to these disks