From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kern, Tom
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 6:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] virus/worm

I have my firewall logging to a syslog daemon which emails me any bad ports- typically the worm/bot goes out 445/6666.

Snort doesn't do anything proactive like kill the worm. It will just email me what it thinks is unusal.

Identifying when the worm kicks in is not the issue. I need to be proactive and figure out how its getting in. Specfically from which user( i assume its a traveling laptop) and how to get rid of it for good.
Why is patching and being up to date not helping.
That kind of stuff which snort doesn't do.

My firewall logs tell me the port and ip address the worm is coming from internally and then I clean it.
 All these bots seem to go out to internet ip's and end up DOSing my firewall and bring other services like external mail to a crawl.
I don't think snort will really help any.

I'd like to know more about avien. i only support about 500 users so i'm not really qualified to join. Plus is it worth the $$?

Thanks