The problem you may encounter (and I'm not by any means an IP routing
expert) is that unless you do run NAT on the interface connected to the
physical production NIC (as opposed to using straight RRAS), other routers
on the network won't know how to get to your "test" subnet.  Unless of
course you start playing with RIP / OSPF / BGP routing advertisement
protocols so your other network routers know how to get to this subnet.
With NAT, you wouldn't need to worry about that.

Again, its all relative to what you want to do.  If you just want say
web-browser ability for your virtual machines, you could use NAT, or use MS
ISA server as a web-proxy on your physical machine and simply point your
Virtual machines at that (which essentially is NAT-style behaviour anyway).

Too bad I cant draw network diagrams with text-based emails *sigh*

To summarise how *I* would probably do this.

- Physical Server, 2 NICS
- 1 NIC connected to private IP range, plugged into private switch, given a
private IP address (like 192.168.10.254)
- Additional devices (such as the Macs, printers etc) plugged into this
switch. They are also given IP addresses in the 192.168.10.x range.
- Virtual servers on physical server bound to NIC plugged into private
network.  Assign IP's in the 192.168.10.x range.
- Other physical NIC in server plugged into production network and given
production IP address

External connectivity:
- Install ISA server on physical machine and use the web-proxy / upstream
proxy config to point ISA to my REAL upstream proxy (allows all machines in
private network to browse the web, download patches etc)
- Alternatively, install RRAS on the physical server and configure the
production NIC as a NAT interface and enable routing. Allows more
functionality (such as mapping drives etc to machines outside the private
network). Default gateway of Virtual Machines / other devices on private
network assigned the IP address of the physical NIC plugged into the private
network (192.168.10.254).
- Alternatively, install RRAS and configure as a full router.  Get comms
guys to add a static route in the router network to get at your private
subnet via your physical machine (bit hazy on the specifics of doing this,
havent touched my cisco routers for a while). Default gateway of Virtual
Machines / other devices on private network assigned the IP address of the
physical NIC plugged into the private network (192.168.10.254). Gives fully
routed ability to machines within the private network, essentially they
behave as if they were another subnet on the production network.

Since I typically don't want free-for-all copying of data backwards and
forward from the production network into the test lab, I would probably
implement the ISA Server version, and use the physical server as a TS
hop-point into the test network.  Any data that has to go between the
networks is firstly copied into the physical server, then copied from there
into the test network.  This allows virus scanning etc to take place on the
physical server before it enters or leaves the test environment.

I have implemented essentially this sort of thing for our gateway (DMZ)
environment (minus the virtual servers running around), and from a
management perspective it works quite well.

I may be incorrect on some of the NAT'ing / IP routing protocol stuff, I'm
sure someone will bash me if that's the case *grin*

Hopefully that not all too confusing.

G.