I get numerous logon hits on my DC's. Some accounts are Admins,some are just
regular users who get locked out. None of the attempts succed.
I ran the exe on a clean patched up to date box while running filemon and
regmon. The exe is wupdmngr.exe which creates a process called faxze.exe.
It tries to "set information" on the index.dat file in tempoaray internet
settings\content.ie5\ and in \cookies\ in the logged on user's profile(why it
does that i have no idea)
it also queries your internet history.
I don't understand why it does that as well. What could it get from there?
also it queries wininet.dll and imm32.dll and ws2help.dll and wsock32.dll in
the systemroot and adds the usual entries to the "run" and "run services" reg
keys in HKLM.
It then tries to go out on port 54321. Some other varients which symantec calls
w32.spybot.worm go out on ports 445 or 6667.

The system I ran the exe was an WinXP sp1 fully MS patched(system restore
disabled) and up to date via Symantec Corporate Edition 9.0. Still it got
infected.

I'm just looking for a clue as to how to stop this thing.
I need a proactive solution and staring at the output of filemon or regmon
isn't getting me any closer.
I need an intrusion prevention system not an IDS. I can look at my firewall
logs and  see the machine this thing is coming from but I can't spen all day
cleaning these things up every other week.
I thought perhaps via GPO's and making sure no one was in the local admin group
of their client and creating custom mobile groups via Symantec for continous
live update would help.
But if Symantec is not catching it,being up to date doesn't seem to help. All
my boxes are not XP so my Win2k clients can't use the restricted software adm.
And i'm sure there are viruses clever enough to get local system access even if
executed by a regular user.

What solution do I have?
thanks