Yes and no.
Thinking of AD as just a database with a bunch of records ignores some of the
most complicated pieces, namely replication.

We are fully multimaster with the understanding that we maintain loose
consistency and support some other functionalities that make this even harder
than it might have to be (harder than when just considering the notion of
replication). This yields a series of nontrivial problems to solve in the
restore.

We already have a "retention period" of sorts: tombstone lifetime. We could
retain more attributes on tombstones and help you with this. In fact, you can
do this in your forest now through a minor schema change. This works well, but
does not solve some harder problems like link value restore (as mentioned in my
most cases.

All of this is not to say that it can't be done, I just wanted to ensure you
think through why it is tricky. :)

I hear that ISVs have done a good job at tackling this problem today. I'd check
out what they offer, perhaps there is something there that would do what you
need.

~Eric