Yes, over 500 GIG and sometimes approaching a terabyte. I'm afraid I only know what the networking professional sent. He was monitoring the traffic to and from two AD DC's. From the graph he sent, it appears he is using a product called NetworkVantage? It has graphed data for 5 categories: Ping, Kerberos, SMB, Active Directory Servic, and Lightweight Dir Access.

From: "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Unusual network traffic to DC's
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:01:37 -0500

Hundreds of GIG?

When you say ping do you mean ECHO's or LDAP Pings?

What are the sources?

This sounds like virus traffic if anything to me if you truly have even half
or a quarter that much volume.

  joe

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeff Salisbury Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 4:35 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Unusual network traffic to DC's

I believe you are seeing the link speed detection traffic. Check out KB
article 227260 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=227260).

Jeff

Jeff Salisbury Network Infrastructure and Security Manager

Belkin Corporation
Information Services
310 604-2061
310 604-2022 fax
www.belkin.com

-----Original Message----- From: Jacob Walker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 1:13 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [ActiveDir] Unusual network traffic to DC's

One of the networking professionals within our company that says he is
seeing hundreds of gigs of ping network traffic everyday to and from the
domain controller.  Why would we see all of this ping traffic to and from
the DC's?  Any ideas?

Confidential
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of Belkin
Corporation and/or its affiliates, are confidential, and are intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed.
If you are not one of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to
believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender and delete this message immediately from your computer.
Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited.