Really, CrackLib is a toolset that I'm guessing they want to use to
*prevent* the use of passwords that are too easy.  Personally, I would have
suggested that they think this out a lot more.  The reason I say that is
that once you build an app like this, you often times want  to extend it to
be used for additional systems.  AD has the ability to enforce password
complexity while other systems may not.  If this was just for AD, I'd say
they should use the AD functionality and look for the complexity that AD
requires.  If for more systems, as it likely will be eventually then more
planning should be put into this before the first piece of code is written.

If you need a reference to JNDI, here's a starter.
http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/TOC.html

CrackLib reference:
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~crypto/download/cracklib,2.7.txt
(I don't know what version they plan to use, but..)

*** What is CrackLib ***

CrackLib is a library containing a C function (well, lots of functions
really, but you only need to use one of them) which may be used in a
"passwd"-like program.

The idea is simple: try to prevent users from choosing passwords that
could be guessed by "Crack" by filtering them out, at source.

CrackLib is an offshoot of the the version 5 "Crack" software, and
contains a considerable number of ideas nicked from the new software.

Etc.