The way to track this down it so network scan on your egress router's
interface. It should be relatively trivial to filter for the traffic based
on destination port, and that will give you the MAC address of the sender
(that is VERY much harder to spoof - not impossible, but a heck of a lot
harder).

>From that, you can look at the ARP table of the router and the MAC address
will be there from the *valid* traffic the machine is doing. You can
guarantee that by ping sweeping the LAN, just in case. Then you're just
matching MAC to MAC and you get the right IP address.

Heck, I think there's perl code that will do most of that for you - I know
we've got a MAC hunter app at work that does something similar to this to
find the name of machines when all we have is a MAC address.

--------
Roger Seielstad
E-mail Geek & MS-MVP

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm