-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Eric Fleischman
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 11:21 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] help troubleshoot ntds general 1049 error

Thanks. Yes Russian is fine for event text.

So this error is a little silly on our part. In 2003, we actually disabled this
error by default, and only throw it if you increase the appropriate logging
level to at least one (whereas in 2000 0 would toss it, aka default install).
We also added some better text and parameters in 2003:

----------
An attempt to generate a referral based on the superiour reference failed for
the following DN.
Active Directory could not find the superiorDNSRoot attribute on the
cross-reference object for
the root domain of this forest because it is not set. An attempt to generate a
referral
automatically has also failed.

Additional info:

Object DN:

Of course, the parameters would be filled in on an actual throwing of the error.

Try looking at what the error text from 2003 is telling you. The code path
which throws this in 2003 is logically similar to 2000.

~Eric