Is anybody really familiar with the GPO settings that control the XP2
firewall on/off network configurations?

What I'm trying to do:
I'm trying to setup and test IPSEC vpn connectivity back to the corp network
and use the XP2 firewall as the firewall of choice.

Expected results:
When I am off the network, I should have full shields up.  When on the corp
network, it should be the settings defined via GPO, permissions, exceptions,
etc.

What I've done:
The on-network settings are fine.  The results are exactly what was
expected.
The off-network settings are also fine.  The results are exactly what was
expected and GPO's were set to control this.  Firewall is up and can't be
modified etc.  Perfect.

Problem:
What is supposed to happen, is that when you make a change to the network
you're on, it's checked to see if it is on the same network that the last
GPO applied was from. The key that's checked is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group
Policy\History\Network Name
If that value matches the connection-specific setting of any of your
connections (that are not slip or ppp) then it should assume it's on the
corporate network that it last got it's GPO from (i.e. it's native network).
The problem I'm having is that the connection specific entry is getting set
on the VPN interface, but it's not triggering the change in networks as far
as the firewall is concerned.

Questions:
First off, is this what is expected?  I realize that the doc also says that
vpn's aren't considered in the algorithm if they're slip or ppp.  Fair
enough, but I can't tell which I'm using. It's blasted contivity crud that
really doesn't give much information at all. In fact, it shows up as an
Ethernet connection, similar to the nic.  It does not however, show up in
the network settings, which is odd.  It's a mini-port driver on the nic.

Second, if this is expected, should I expect that the firewall is up for the
phys NIC and not engaged for the VPN interface?  In other words, is the VPN
interface unable to be firewalled?

If anybody has any links or information or other newsgroups where somebody
would know this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Al