>> I am not too happy with this solution as I believe there may be a way to
set this up on the Exchange server itself.
You and a lot of others. But, this is what you are stuck with for the time
being.

>> I would like to disable the user's domain account for security reasons
Don't disable the account. In fact, don't disable ANY mail-enabled account.
That creates problems for your Exchange. What you want to do is set a complex
password for terminated accounts. Use a password generator to create random
passwords that not even you can remember. When the user has been gone longer
than your corporate policies mandate, then archive the mailbox, detach the
mailbox, then disable or delete that account.

>>What are the commonly-accepted procedures for dealing with departing users?
It depends. Your corporate policies dictate that. Do you have a policy that
says mailbox contents must be retained for this long? Do you have one that
says never forward any corporate mailbox contents to external addresses?
Things like these are formulated at the top (hopefully with IT input) and you
just enforce.

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services