-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jorge de
Almeida Pinto
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 10:58 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] PDC emulator in Native mode

Hi,

The PDC Emulator FSMO is required in both modes! In mixed mode the
replication model is different (LAN MAnager) when replicating with older
DCs (BDCs)

In both mixed and native mode:
* Time sync for the domain/forest
* Primary source for GPO edits
* Pwd change for legacy clients without the directory services client
* Central repository for passwords when another DC needs to check the
password when a user provided a wrong password against that DC
* Participates in immediate replication for certain events through an
RPC call
* Acts as the master DC for BDCs (only in mixed mode) for replication
* Provides directory updates to DFS root servers when Root Scalability
is disabled

At the moment I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure if there's
more the other guys will add comments

Cheers,
jorge