Hey now, I wonder who you are pointing at here........

I don't really agree with you Deji. You don't have to know what you are
looking at for it to help. It certainly makes you more productive if you
have some idea of what you are looking at but many times I don't know what I
am looking at and I am just looking for errors being thrown in the trace
that don't get floated up properly through the application (or sometimes at
all). Examples of that are rampant in tools that use LDAP and don't float up
the extended errors when they are encountered. You get some pathetic message
from the app and see a very explanatory extended error in the trace in clear
text.

The other thing you can do is look at a trace that works and look at one
that doesn't and try to pinpoint the differences. This is one of the most
common things I do for one off broken things. Does it work as admin but not
as normal user, what do you see in the trace? Oh a remote registry access
that fails with access denied? Oh a network file that you can't read? Oh a
nice access denied for an LDAP Update? Etc etc etc.

I think a lot of it really comes down to how much do you know about how
Windows and networking works by itself and how much do you want to learn?
Getting a network sniffer out and watching what happens on the wire is a
great way to see how this all works. It is also a great way to find symptoms
prior to them becoming full blown issues. Multiple times I have just spent
some time poking around and found servers broadcasting like mad that
shouldn't have been and contacting the owners and they find a virus or
something on it.

On the class aspect... Anyone here take the Enterprise Class for NT4? Anyone
recall the section on netmon and network tracing? Anyone stay awake for it
and find it something you could actually take and use going forward?
Probably very few if any. It is very difficult, in my opinion, to "teach"
network monitoring and how to do it and what to look for. The attempts I
have seen have all been based in some way shape or form off one of the
networking models which tends to fall flat on its face as well. You don't
really need to know the OSI model to use a network monitor and see issues.
Things like a WINS resolution failing or DNS resolution failing stick out
pretty well. About the only thing better would be if the network tools
flagged those packets in blinking red text or something.

If someone wants to learn how to use network monitor software, load it and
try to run it; personally I recommend ethereal. I think it blows netmon out
of the water at the moment. If you use a command line version you might find
it a bit difficult to use and learn, more than likely you will use a GUI
version and you slowly point and click and work through it.

Is it the best time to learn how to do network tracing when your server is
on fire or your network is puked? Probably not, this is why I recommend
people to regularly pull a network tracing tool up and look at what is going
across the wire. You will learn a ton just doing that. Ping a server, what
traffic do you see? Did it resolve in WINS or DNS or through broadcast? What
if you net use?

The basics are these

1. Load the program.
2. Start the program.
3. Maybe try to browse the help.
4. Look for some button that seems to indicate a way to start capturing, it
might be start, run, new, etc.
5. You might need to select what network interface you are capturing on. You
need to know which one to use.
6. Let it capture packets for a while and stop the trace
7. The trace should pop up, scroll through and look at what is happening.
Don't get overwhelmed, everything happens one packet at a time. Ethereal is
cool because it has a quick filter that will quickly just show you what
traffic is involved with a single stream. Just select right click on a
packet and click follow stream.

You don't need to know a thing about display filters or capture filters to
start. Those things just help you later as you get better and better and
want to narrow the traffic down you are looking at. I would argue initially
you want to look at all of the packets anyway so you have an idead of what
is there. If you start out all filtered, you don't know what you are
missing. And yes, often missing packets are just as important to notice as
packets that are there. It tends to take more experience to notice that
though if you send a packet to one machine and don't get a response, that
tends to be pretty obvious. Obviously though this is a good case of looking
at a good and bad trace side by side.

If worse comes to worse. Get a capture of things working correctly and then
when it breaks, pull out the trace of it going correctly and look to see
what is different now.

I think network tracing should be done by every application/load integrator
and admin.  There are many issues that never would have hit production if
the original people implementing and/or designing the proof of concept or
pilot would have simply looked at a network trace of the app running and
noticed it was doing things they wouldn't have expected like talking to
servers it shouldn't be talking to etc.