In my experience, a lot of developers DON'T KNOW in detail what their apps do and what permissions are required on what resources.  They develop with Admin accounts and make their service accounts Admins unless they're forced otherwise.  That's a sure way to keep security problems out of their way during testing so they can concentrate on code quality.  But then no one pays attention to security until implementation, and...you know the rest.
-----Original Message-----
From: Crawford, Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:29 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Using GPO to install an MSI package

Envision my utopia – all apps, in order to get a “Designed for XP” logo need to meet some requirements:

  1. Come with an MSI installer or have one that’s easily extractable from an EXE.
  2. Come with an .ADM file for configuring options
  3. Run under a non-privileged user account.

How nice would that be?  Think about it, you spent several hours preparing your package, and tracking down the required permissions.  Multiply that by all the admins that would like to run in a secure environment and multiply that by all the apps that need special perms to run.  Add to that all the time spent making MSI’s of legacy installs.  Then you’ll get some idea of the YEARS of man hours wasted trying to make things manageable in a secure enterprise environment.  Compare this to the comparatively miniscule amount of additional time needed to build things right.

It would take relatively no time for developers to issue their installs as MSI’s in addition to EXEs.  It might take a bit of time to create an ADM file, but still relatively little since they have intimate knowledge of the app and where it reads settings from.  The biggest issue would be redesigning their apps to work as non-privileged users, but even that could be mitigated if they would at least publish a list of special perms needed or at the very least, every file and registry entry that’s part of their app so that we could give full control to Users over those objects.